Founded in Dallas in 1998, Project Transformation (PT) is a ministry of the United Methodist Church that has grown to include six chapters across the United States, with locations in Central Texas, North Texas, Oklahoma, Rio Texas, Tennessee, and the Pacific Northwest. PT’s mission statement is to “engage young adults in purposeful leadership and ministry by building life-impacting relationships, serving children and families, and connecting churches to underserved communities.”
More than 250 young adults are involved in the program annually, serving more than 2,000 children across the country. Churches in underserved communities host both after-school and summer programs. Among the services provided are homework assistance, health and nutrition education, and other activities, which range from literacy programs (including reading to children), to social, emotional, and spiritual development. Meals are provided to the students, the majority of whom qualify for free or reduced price meals at school. These activities are led by college-age volunteers who come from as many as 32 different states and eight foreign countries. A number of these volunteers have gone on to enroll in seminary, with several currently working as staff in the North Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Church contact: Julia Moomau at email@example.com
Four Ways You Can Support Project Transformation
Project Transformation (PT) is a ministry of the United Methodist Church, which provides both after-school and summer programs in underserved communities. Here are ways to support PT:
- Volunteer to read one-on-one with children during our two reading weeks at Chapel Hill UMC in Farmers Branch from 9:30 a.m. to noon, June 17-20 and June 24-27. Meet daily at FUMC Coppell at 8:45 a.m. to carpool and arrive at Chapel Hill by 9:15 a.m. Sign up at Project Transformation Reading Partner We need 15-20 volunteers each day. Volunteer must be at least 13 years old, and those 19 and older must have completed the MinistrySafe online training. Find info at https://www.fumccoppell.org/resources/ministrysafe/
- Volunteer to help serve dinner to 140 college interns on Sunday, May 26 at Group Dynamic in Carrollton. Sign up at Project Transformation Intern Dinner
- Volunteer at Family Fun Night at Chapel Hill UMC on Thursday, June 20. Cook and serve dinner to 150 children and parents. Help with fun activities such as carnival games and bounce house. Sign up at Project Transformation Family Fun Night
- Donate craft supplies and sports equipment! Donation boxes are in Wesley Hall.
- Craft Supplies: Black and color sharpies, black ball point pens, pencils, color pencils, markers, crayons, glue sticks/Elmer’s glue, scissors, craft paint, glitter/glitter pens, stickers, fuzzy craft pom poms, clay/playdoh, yarn, googly eyes, food coloring, paint brushes, popsicle sticks, paper plates, fuzzy craft sticks (pipe cleaners).
- Sports Equipment: rubber balls, basketballs, soccer balls, hula hoops, jump ropes, orange cones, floor tape, bases (for kickball), pool noodles.
To sign up to volunteer click on links above or contact Julia Moomau at firstname.lastname@example.org .